This is an unusual appetizer or main course, which can be prepared in advance and kept in the refrigerator until you’re ready to cook it.
• 12-16 raw, unshelled jumbo shrimp
• ½ cup walnut pieces
• 4 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
• 4 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
• 2 garlic cloves, chopped
• 3 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese
• 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 2 tablespoons walnut oil
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Peel the shrimp, removing the heads but leaving the tails. Devein and then put the shrimp in a large mixing bowl.
2. To make the pesto, place the walnuts, parsley, basil, garlic, cheese, and oils in a food processor and process until finely chopped. Season.
3. Add half the pesto to the shrimp in the bowl, toss them well, then cover and chill in the refrigerator for a minimum of 1 hour, or overnight.
4. Thread the shrimp onto skewers and cook them on a hot grill for 3-4 minutes, turning once. Serve with the remaining pesto and a green salad.